Digital Disruption
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Your source in gaming and computing news.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Why Xbox One Have A First-Party FPS At Launch

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Haunter
Admin
Haunter

Why Xbox One Have A First-Party FPS At Launch Empty
PostSubject: Why Xbox One Have A First-Party FPS At Launch   Why Xbox One Have A First-Party FPS At Launch Icon_minitimeFri Nov 01, 2013 12:22 pm

Quote :
Shooters, and first-person shooters, in particular, have arguably always been the preeminent genre on Xbox platforms, starting with Xbox 1 coming right out of the gate with Halo: Combat Evolved. Microsoft also had a first-party FPS, Perfect Dark Zero, out for the launch of Xbox 360, and while that game didn't live up to the legacy of Perfect Dark nor Halo, it was still a Microsoft-published shooter on day one. No equivalent game is on the slate of Xbox One launch titles, something which stems from Microsoft not taking a "genre focus" when evaluating its software portfolio.

"When I think about launch portfolios and, really, the portfolio all up, I tend not to take a real genre focus on trying to fill a specific hole in a portfolio," said Microsoft Game Studios corporate VP Phil Spencer on the latest episode of Podcast Unlocked. "In a lot of ways, the 360 has been home to many of the great first-person shooters. Halo at the original Xbox launch was incredible. You've seen Call of Duty, you see Battlefield, you see a lot of great games coming. For us, it was really just about finding the great games where the timing lined up for the creative to actually land at launch with an amazing game, you want to make sure you have great visuals. ...It isn't really something we focused on; we wanted to make sure we had great core games, great games for everybody. I feel great about the launch lineup all up."

It's not as if there won't be any shooters for Xbox One in November. Both Call of Duty: Ghosts and Battlefield 4 will be available for Xbox One on launch day, but those games can be played on other platforms -- and sooner -- most notably on PlayStation 4. Although it will also be available on Xbox 360 and PC, Titanfall is considered the big, exclusive killer app for Xbox One at this point, and all indications point it to being great. It won't, however, be available until next March, almost four months after Xbox One's launch. So did Microsoft ever approach Electronic Arts and Respawn about getting it out in time for launch?

"The nice thing about the way our partners and I try to develop the games is really trying to get the creative right first," Spencer explained. "And the old axiom, 'A game is only late once; it's bad forever' -- you want to make sure you've got the right time. For us, where the game is landing is actually really nice. Having it come in in March is fantastic when you think about: There's a lot of content at launch, which is obviously only a certain number of consoles early on in the life cycle and it will continue to sell, and then having a great beat in early '14 for core fans is going to be fantastic. So when I look at the timing of when that release is coming, I think it's almost perfect for us as a platform."

Spencer did say there would have been an effect if Titanfall launched alongside the system -- "a game that's that spectacular would have had an impact" -- but he says he actually prefers it coming early next year. That's because this fall is ultimately a small slice of the overall picture: "I look at this holiday as kind of an abnormal time in the competition [with Sony]. It's a very compressed amount of time between when the consoles come out and the holiday season. We're both going to build a lot of hardware. But in the long-term, it's a very small percentage of the overall hardware install base that gets sold right now."
Source
Back to top Go down
https://digitaldisruption.forumotion.net

Why Xbox One Have A First-Party FPS At Launch
Page 1 of 1